#Sierra Leone mudslide survivors remember day the mountain moved Skip to main content

#Sierra Leone mudslide survivors remember day the mountain moved

Please pray for Sierra Leone, first it was the War, then Ebola and now this...
"It happened as if it was a dream," says Gabriel Fattah Manga, recalling the day his world came tumbling down around him, and his life changed forever.
Early last Monday morning Manga, 25, was preparing to head to work as a carpenter in the Regent area of Freetown, Sierra Leone, when he realized something was badly wrong
"The land was trembling and the whole area was trembling with me," he tells CNN, his eyes still red-rimmed with emotion. "I came out to see what was happening. I saw water going down ... When I moved up to three meters, I saw this whole mountain coming."
A massive mudslide, sparked by heavy rains and flooding in an area that has suffered years of deforestation, was speeding down the slopes of Mount Sugar Loaf, towards his home in one of the makeshift shanty towns that dotted the hillside.

Manga survived, but an entire generation of his family was swept away in the devastation.
Gabriel Fattah Manga holds a poster showing the family members he lost in the mudslide that hit Sierra Leone's capital, Freetown.
"I lost my mother Kumba, who I love so much," he says. "I lost my brother John -- I was in love with my brother. I lost his wife Jeneba, their baby Daniel, who is five months old. My elder brother also lost his two children."
Manga now sleeps on a bench outside the single-story brown building his surviving family members call home. Pasted on the wall above the bench is a picture of his mother and the members of his family he has lost.
"I lost my family, I lost my people. I lost my place," he says, a weary, resigned look on his face. "All has gone."
Hundreds still missing
Manga is far from alone. According to the latest death toll, 499 people, including more than 150 children, were killed in the Regent mudslide.
Hundreds more remain missing, and relatives are losing hope that their loved ones will be found alive.
Hawa Marah and her grandson. She lost three of her five children, and her home in the disaster and doesn't know where she and her family will live going forward.
Mariama Koroma, 23, sits across the street from Manga's home, outside the small building where she and some 50 other women and children are sheltering, clutching a photograph of her five-month-old niece Mariatu.
Mariatu and her mother, Koroma's older sister Fanta, 35, have been missing since a tide of sodden red earth swept away their home. The family has been unable to find any sign of them where their house used to stand.
"When I go there, I didn't see her house. We've driven everywhere and we can't find her body," she says. "The bodies are under there. My mother is now unconscious. I'm worried that she will not make it."
Inside the dark, cramped shelter, Wuiatu Kondeh sits on a still-wrapped mattress. Clutching her two-year-old daughter, she weeps as she tells of how she escaped from the mudslide, only to realize she couldn't find her husband, Lansana, 25, a motorbike taxi driver.
Wuiatu Kondeh weeps while holding her daughter Antoinette. She lost her husband, uncle, sister, and her sister's children in the mudslide.
"We saw the hill coming down and we ran away," she says, remembering fragments and details of that day. "Someone carried my child. I didn't have my slippers."
bodies been carried to be burried
"Later, I looked for my husband and I didn't see him," she says, sobbing quietly, her face etched with pain. "I didn't see my uncle ... my sister, she lost two of her children. I didn't see her again."
Kondeh and her husband had only moved to the Mount Sugar Loaf area in June, after saving up to rent a home there. With that home destroyed, she and her baby daughter are
left to sleep on the floor of this shared building.
Outside, the search continues, with rescue workers digging through the dirt for bodies, the stench of decomposing remains hanging in the air.


bodies been buried
SOURCE; CNN


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#Maureen - The Meeting

CHAPTER ONE THE MEETING EPISODE ONE Echoesminds. com/Maureen They say life is a long story about how we died, it truly is, and this is truly a long story of one of the most beautiful, friendly and gorgeous minds ever seen, a mind that ended unexpectedly, unfortunately so soon, sooner than anyone could have ever expected, was the sacrifice worth it?  “Maureen, do not take a step out of that door, mama asked you to clean the kitchen before leaving, and I will make sure you see to this before you step out”, Debbie insisted, “but you can do that for me and I will help you out in the evening with the dishes, I just need to leave now, I told Sarah I would make it early to her house, so she can help me with the making of my hair before her younger brother returns, please let me go” Maureen insisted holding and pecking Debbie as she spoke and immediately runs out of the house. “Please, watch the road carefully before crossing ooo Idiot”, Debbie screamed out through the window as

#The Mystery of a thirteen year old teen Suicide by Hanging

The mystery behind people giving up on life and taking their own lives, still bothers the minds of people around the world. what could a thirteen year old female teen probably have experienced to make her make the toughest choice in life "suicide".  With the information gotten, it was confirmed that this incident took place behind a CAC Church at Ifatoki, Pakuro Road, Mowe, a town in Ogun state, Owode Local Government Area. Sources confirmed that the teen was found with an adult movie(mojo/blue film) on her mobile phone and a love letter in which she was corrected for, we all should understand the correction of an Average African Nigerian Parent on such claimed offense. It was later found that the young soul had committed suicide by hanging herself behind her house. Sources were asked why the police were not involved in the case and it was confirmed that the community wanted to but her parents pleaded not to for a reason unknown to no one. The question here is "co

#Yara Virus : The New Mysterious Virus Found In Brazil.

Scientists have discovered a new virus in an artificial lake in Brazil. This mysterious virus found in amoebae has been named “Yaravirus.” This latest discovery comes as the coronavirus from China continues to ravage the world. While the world scrabbles around looking for a cure for the deadly coronavirus, scientists have found another virus. Unlike the former which started in  China,  this new one comes from an artificial lake in  Brazil. Independent  reports that this virus named "Yaravirus" was found in an amoebae. It was named after "Yara" or “Iara,” which means 'mother of waters' - a mythical siren/mermaid figure from Brazilian mythology who would lure sailors underwater. Scientists are saying that this virus is mysterious because it has genes that no one has seen before. Reporting the new discovery in  bioRxiv, a  biological sciences website, the researchers wrote:  “We report the discovery of Yaravirus, a new lineage of amoebal vi