Skip to main content

Featured Post

CALIFORNIA FIRE: 62,000 People Have Fled Blaze

#Sierra Leone mudslide survivors remember day the mountain moved

Please pray for Sierra Leone, first it was the War, then Ebola and now this...
"It happened as if it was a dream," says Gabriel Fattah Manga, recalling the day his world came tumbling down around him, and his life changed forever.
Early last Monday morning Manga, 25, was preparing to head to work as a carpenter in the Regent area of Freetown, Sierra Leone, when he realized something was badly wrong
"The land was trembling and the whole area was trembling with me," he tells CNN, his eyes still red-rimmed with emotion. "I came out to see what was happening. I saw water going down ... When I moved up to three meters, I saw this whole mountain coming."
A massive mudslide, sparked by heavy rains and flooding in an area that has suffered years of deforestation, was speeding down the slopes of Mount Sugar Loaf, towards his home in one of the makeshift shanty towns that dotted the hillside.

Manga survived, but an entire generation of his family was swept away in the devastation.
Gabriel Fattah Manga holds a poster showing the family members he lost in the mudslide that hit Sierra Leone's capital, Freetown.
"I lost my mother Kumba, who I love so much," he says. "I lost my brother John -- I was in love with my brother. I lost his wife Jeneba, their baby Daniel, who is five months old. My elder brother also lost his two children."
Manga now sleeps on a bench outside the single-story brown building his surviving family members call home. Pasted on the wall above the bench is a picture of his mother and the members of his family he has lost.
"I lost my family, I lost my people. I lost my place," he says, a weary, resigned look on his face. "All has gone."
Hundreds still missing
Manga is far from alone. According to the latest death toll, 499 people, including more than 150 children, were killed in the Regent mudslide.
Hundreds more remain missing, and relatives are losing hope that their loved ones will be found alive.
Hawa Marah and her grandson. She lost three of her five children, and her home in the disaster and doesn't know where she and her family will live going forward.
Mariama Koroma, 23, sits across the street from Manga's home, outside the small building where she and some 50 other women and children are sheltering, clutching a photograph of her five-month-old niece Mariatu.
Mariatu and her mother, Koroma's older sister Fanta, 35, have been missing since a tide of sodden red earth swept away their home. The family has been unable to find any sign of them where their house used to stand.
"When I go there, I didn't see her house. We've driven everywhere and we can't find her body," she says. "The bodies are under there. My mother is now unconscious. I'm worried that she will not make it."
Inside the dark, cramped shelter, Wuiatu Kondeh sits on a still-wrapped mattress. Clutching her two-year-old daughter, she weeps as she tells of how she escaped from the mudslide, only to realize she couldn't find her husband, Lansana, 25, a motorbike taxi driver.
Wuiatu Kondeh weeps while holding her daughter Antoinette. She lost her husband, uncle, sister, and her sister's children in the mudslide.
"We saw the hill coming down and we ran away," she says, remembering fragments and details of that day. "Someone carried my child. I didn't have my slippers."
bodies been carried to be burried
"Later, I looked for my husband and I didn't see him," she says, sobbing quietly, her face etched with pain. "I didn't see my uncle ... my sister, she lost two of her children. I didn't see her again."
Kondeh and her husband had only moved to the Mount Sugar Loaf area in June, after saving up to rent a home there. With that home destroyed, she and her baby daughter are
left to sleep on the floor of this shared building.
Outside, the search continues, with rescue workers digging through the dirt for bodies, the stench of decomposing remains hanging in the air.


bodies been buried
SOURCE; CNN


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#Maureen - The Meeting

CHAPTER ONE THE MEETING EPISODE ONE Echoesminds. com/Maureen They say life is a long story about how we died, it truly is, and this is truly a long story of one of the most beautiful, friendly and gorgeous minds ever seen, a mind that ended unexpectedly, unfortunately so soon, sooner than anyone could have ever expected, was the sacrifice worth it?  “Maureen, do not take a step out of that door, mama asked you to clean the kitchen before leaving, and I will make sure you see to this before you step out”, Debbie insisted, “but you can do that for me and I will help you out in the evening with the dishes, I just need to leave now, I told Sarah I would make it early to her house, so she can help me with the making of my hair before her younger brother returns, please let me go” Maureen insisted holding and pecking Debbie as she spoke and immediately runs out of the house. “Please, watch the road carefully before crossing ooo Idiot”, Debbie screamed out through the windo...

The Key Traits of Elon Musk, Mark Zuckerberg and Meg Whitman

  What makes these leaders stand out from the rest? IBM's Watson did some digging. From Bill Gates to Meg Whitman to Elon Musk, today's most renowned business people  innovate , inspire and create. However, what makes these individuals so different from the rest of us? What  traits  do they possess that make them so successful? With the help of IBM’s supercomputer Watson, online career management website  Paysa  sought to uncover the common characteristics of top business leaders. Using Watson’s Personality Insights program to analyze speeches, essays, books and interview transcripts of today’s most powerful  leaders , the company discovered what puts these people at the top.   Of eight surveyed industries, entertainment, fashion, finance, law, marketing, media, medicine and politics, Watson discovered that “intellect” was the top personality trait for leaders in a majority of these fields. With the help of IBM’s supercomputer Watson, ...

CALIFORNIA FIRE: 62,000 People Have Fled Blaze

  The evacuations have come amid a grueling heat wave, the coronavirus pandemic and air thick with smoke. The wildfires have burned through more than 350,000 acres. The wildfires that continued to rip across Northern California on Thursday have forced 62,000 people from their homes and threaten evacuations for 100,000 more. Firefighters have struggled to contain the blazes, and massive smoke clouds have harmed the air quality. A large group of fires burning in wine country west of Sacramento had grown to cover 131,000 acres, according to Cal Fire, the state’s fire authority. The agency said that, in all, nearly 350,000 acres have burned in Northern and Central California, with many fires sparked by lightning strikes in the high heat and then fanned by winds. Those conditions helped new fires sprout across the state on Wednesday and Thursday, and caused other fires to merge, complicating efforts to contain the combined blazes. Almost two dozen major fires were reported on Wednesday,...